Most of us hope to lean on the support of our loved ones when we reach our senior years. Unfortunately, this isn’t always possible. Many seniors wind up living far away from their relatives and help with daily tasks can be hard to come by. These seniors often rely on community members for support and assistance. Want to get involved? Below are some ways to offer a helping hand to a senior friend or neighbor. Helping Seniors Move to Assisted Living Assisted living may be the best option for seniors who are having a tough time taking care of themselves at home.
● Know how to recognize signs that seniors shouldn’t be living alone.
● Help your senior friend research and consider their different living options.
● Help them estimate their home proceeds to determine if selling is a viable option for funding assisted living. Combat Senior Isolation Loneliness is a senior epidemic, especially among those who have limited to no relatives living nearby. Here are some ways you can support isolated seniors in your area.
● Take them to worship at a service at Hartford United Methodist Church.
● Teach seniors how to use technology to stay in touch with friends and family who live far away.
● Encourage seniors to get involved in a social hobby.
● Help seniors discover alternative forms of transportation if they can no longer drive.
● Keep an eye out for indicators that your senior friend may be struggling with depression. Offering Assistance With Daily Tasks Some other great ways to offer your support to seniors include cooking meals, running errands, serving as a driver, or helping with household cleaning.
● Put together some freezer-friendly meals and deliver them to seniors in your community.
● Offer to run errands for seniors or drive them to appointments.
● Help them to discover ways to prevent falls.
● Help your senior friend get rid of household clutter so they can enjoy a cleaner and safer living environment. For many seniors, living alone isn’t easy. If you know some seniors in your area who don’t have relatives nearby to help them with daily tasks, consider reaching out and offering some assistance. They’ll be grateful for your support and you’ll gain a new friend!